Advocacy is speaking, acting or writing with minimal conflict of interest on behalf of the interests of a disadvantaged person or group, in order to promote, protect and defend the welfare of and justice for either the person or group.
Approaches to disability advocacy can be categorised into six broad models:
- Citizen advocacy: matches people with disability with volunteers.
- Family advocacy: helps parents and family members advocate on behalf of the person with
disability for a particular issue.
- Individual advocacy: upholds the rights of individual people with disability by working on
discrimination, abuse and neglect.
- Legal advocacy: upholds the rights and interests of individual people with disability by
addressing the legal aspects of discrimination, abuse and neglect.
- Self advocacy: supports people with disability to advocate for themselves, or as a group.
- Systemic advocacy: seeks to remove barriers and address discrimination to ensure the rights
of people with disability.
Following is a list of Victorian Advocacy Organisations:
- Action for More Independence and Dignity in Accommodation
- Action on Disability within Ethnic Communities Inc
- Association for Children with a Disability (VIC) Inc
- Association of Employees with Disability Inc (AED Legal)
- Barwon Disability Resource Council Inc (Assert 4 All)
- Blind Citizens Australia
- Citizen Advocacy Sunbury & Districts Inc
- Colac Otway Region Advocacy Service
- Communication Rights Australia
- Disability Advocacy & Information Service
- Disability Justice Advocacy
- Disability Resources Centre Inc
- Gippsland Disability Advocacy Inc
- Grampians Disability Advocacy Association
- Leadership Plus
- Melbourne East Disability Advocacy
- North – East Citizen Advocacy
- Rights Information and Advocacy Centre Inc
- Southern Disability Advocacy
- Southwest Advocacy Association
- Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability Inc. (VALID Inc.)
- Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council
- Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service
- Youth Disability Advocacy Service